What's Cookin'?

Friday, January 15, 2010

Happy Friday!!! I always love Fridays (who doesn't?) 'cause my little man (& big man) are through with their busy week and we get to look forward to a nice weekend together! I don't plan out meals for the weekends, due to the fact we never know where we'll be.  If we're at home I just throw something together, but chances are that my sweet honey will take us out to dinner:-) Me Likes!!!

Yesterday, I posted my first Tablescape Thursday, so we were eatin' in high cotton last night on our "fancy" table. LOL!  It was supposed to be soup and sandwiches, but at the last minute it turned into.....wait for it.....da ta da ta daaaaaaaaa....soup & salads!!!

Potato Cheese Soup and a Mixed Green Salad

ItalianDinner2

I never have a recipe for the soup, it just sorta always comes together.
The basic recipe is:

Potatoes (I use red)
Celery
Onions
Bacon
Cheese
Sour Cream
Milk
Chicken Stock
Butter

I cut my potatoes into chunks and boil in salty water until almost tender.
In a skillet I cook my bacon until its crumbly (is that a word?)
reserving some of the bacon grease. Chop about 1 cup of celery & 1 cup of onion and add to bacon grease. You may want to add a little butter to this. I always just eyeball it, but about 1/2 stick should do. Cook until onions are clear. Next, add 2/3 cups of All-Purpose Flour to the pan. This will be really thick, but I quickly start adding milk. I would add about 2 cups of milk and stir until really smooth. Drain the potaotes, leaving about 2 cups of water in the pot. Transfer the onion/celery/milk mixture over to potatoes and mix well. Now, add about 5 more cups of milk and about 2 cups of chicken stock. This all depends on what size pot of soup you're making. It's all to taste. If you like it thicker, don't add as much milk & stock, etc. Don't forget to add salt and pepper as you're cooking this. I use white and black pepper and sometimes I throw in a little garlic salt for good measure. Now add about 1 cup of sour cream and 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese and stir. Keep checking the potaotes to see when they're tender and done. Serve with cheddar & bacon. (I know that this is a totally crazy recipe, but it really does fall into place once you're cooking!)

ItalianDinner

The salad was just mixed greens tossed with mandarin oranges and pecans. I used the juice from the oranges mixed with a little salt and pepper for the dressing. Simple, but tasty!

I'm gonna link this to Foodie Friday over at Designs by Gollum.  Please go over an pay them a visit. You'll find great food and beautiful pics.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will be cookin' this with the pronto as in soon I get me some taters.....looks so GOOD!