Cotton Pickin' Time

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

We had a good agriculture lesson last week. It was all about Cotton!
cotton 077

We heard the rumblin' of the cotton picker and rushed out to see all the action! It's a first row seat... a chance to see the effort, of both man and machine, that it takes to get this cotton out of the field!
cotton 085
This is a  John Deere 9996 ~ 6 row Cotton Picker. This little number picks the cotton with ease and stores the cotton in its hopper until it's full and ready to dump.

cotton 083
The module builder waits to get it's first load! I'm not sure how many hoppers it takes to fill one, but I do know it's a lot of cotton!
cotton 091
I doesn't take long to get that first load!

cotton 093
After the dump...the cotton gets packed down to make ready for the next load.  After a full module is built...the tractor pulls the module builder away...leaving a well packed module of cotton, ready to be picked up by the Cotton Gin!

cotton 079
As the cotton picker finishes an area, the tractor mower is used to mow down the remaining stalks.

All this is very exciting to the kids...and very loud to me!



Oh, I forgot to mention that they were also picking peanuts way across in another field...I didn't even think about getting any closer to all of that...You see all of that dust?  Peanut dust is not good for my allergies!!!

cotton 084

I'm sharing over at A Southern Daydreamer.

Holly


13 comments:

Ms. Kathleen said...

And to think people for generations picked by hand! Great photos!

A Dagenham Girl said...

wow what fabulous photos, Judith (Precious Moments)

Marbel said...

Wow! I would love to see that sometime. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

That was a very good lesson. great photo's. My son will be demonstrating his blacksmithing skills at Cotton Ginning Days in Dallas, NC this weekend. Now I'll know a little more about cotton picking.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I enjoyed seeing this as I've never seen a cotton harvest before. It look like hard work, even with a special machine.

Debbie said...

What a great post! We're knee deep in the land of Cotton too,and I love to see it in the field and in every stage thereafter.

Love your close up photos of the cotton picker!

Jocelyn said...

Wow what great pictures! It would be very fun to see.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

LV said...

You really brought back some memories for me today. We had cotton and I have picked many a sack. We did not have machinery. We did it all by hand, pulling a sack behind you. Then it was taken by wagon to a gin.

Janean said...

cotton and peanuts....yep, that's georgia to me. :) oh how we miss boiled peanuts!!!!!

great post!

Bonnie said...

I love cotton. Great post! I remember picking cotton at my grandmother's house when I was a little girl. It was a learning experience because it is not fun job. I am grateful machinery exists today to harvest the wonderful cotton. It is a comfortable very durable fabric i am thankful for. Your post is very educational. So many people don't realize all the work and experience that goes into farming any crops. We all take it for granted more than we should.

I appreciate your visit to my blog and I would like to follow yours. We are fellow southerners. Great to meet you.

Sweetladyelaine said...

Sorry, I haven't visited in a long time. I try to get around as much as I can....
Anyway, this post brings back memories of living in Mississippi. I saw them picking it by hand! Being a young wife and New Yorker I was amazed. I never, ever, forgot all the parents and children picking! Thank you for the fond memory!
You took great pictures..you should put them in a photo contest!
Thank you so much for sharing...

Linda said...

Very interesting post...it must be much faster to pick the cotton and peanuts with machines...in our area, many of the harvests are picked by hand.

Nonnie said...

Great Photos!

Nonnie