A Woodsy Valentine!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

It's Tablescape Thursday over at Between Naps on the Porch. Stop by and see Susan and all the beautiful, creative tablescapes on display!!!

I wanted to do a Valentine inspired table today, but I really don't have a lot of  Valentine decor.  I came up with the idea of a "Woodsy Valentine" table that would allow me to use things I have and still give it a romantic feel.  I don't know if I achieved the "look" I was going for, but ..A: I couldn't fit anything else on the table and ..B: I was tired;-)....So, I give you A Woodsy Valentine.
Valentine9
The tame bird was in a cage, the free bird was in the forest.
They met when the time came, it was a decree of fate.
The free bird cries, "O my love, let us fly to the wood."
The cage bird whispers, "Come hither, let us both live in the cage."
Says the free bird, "Among bars, where is there room to spread one's wings?"
"Alas," cries the caged bird, "I should not know where to sit perched in the sky."
Valentine6
The free bird cries, "My darling, sing the songs of the woodlands."
The cage bird sings, "Sit by my side, I'll teach you the speech of the learned."
The forest bird cries, "No, ah no! songs can never be taught."
The cage bird says, "Alas for me, I know not the songs of the woodlands."
Valentine2

Valentine1
Their love is intense with longing, but they never can fly wing to wing.
Through the bars of the cage they look, and vain is their wish to know each other.
Valentine3
They flutter their wings in yearning, and sing, "Come closer, my love!"
The free bird cries, "It cannot be, I fear the closed doors of the cage."
The cage bird whispers, "Alas, my wings are powerless and dead."
Valentine7

The Tame Bird Was In A Cage
Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941)




23 comments:

Marigene said...

Beautiful woodsy table...the centerpiece is stunning...thanks for sharing.

Cass @ That Old House said...

It's beautiful! I think you accomplished what you set out -- a table that manages to be both romantic and a little bit rugged at the same time -- love the birds, too!

Cass

Anonymous said...

You have (OUT)-done yourself...I will be borrowing this idea, it's ironic but I've thought about going OUT and gathering loblolly limbs for a center piece, now I have this great idea,thanks for sharing, this tablescape is creative,romantic,and I love it when you bring OUT-side in,I heart wildlife!!!!!

Teresa's New Life said...

The table is beautiful. The poem, bittersweet and gorgeous. It made my heart sing and sigh.

Signing Out said...

Wow, Holly, this is so gorgeous! I love the centerpiece! Great photography, too.

LV said...

A great idea and your decorations look really nice. Good thinking on your part. Pleased you stopped by today.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Holly, you did set a very romantic table and told a very romantic story. The woodland theme and the birds feel romantic with all of your red touches. The poem was lovely and sad at the same time.
Yvonne

honeysuckle said...

This was a very clever idea and I love anything with red in it so I think you achieved your goal. Love the conversation from the birds too!

Holly Lefevre said...

I am enjoying your Woodsy Valentine table. I love to use the natural elements in my tablescape and you have done such a great job with them,. I love the little bird and hearts too.

Sonia said...

Oh I just love your woodland/valentine's table...so pretty and such a great setting to have a wonderful meal!

Miss Bloomers/Sonia

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

What a great table. Your centerpiece is beautiful and I like the way you used your pinecones as placecards.

Nonnie said...

Holly, You truly are amazing! Your creative juices have really been flowing lately - and - your gift of words is astonishing! Your "Woodsy Valentine" tablescape is absolutely beautiful, the photography outstanding and - wait just a minute - where did you learn how to do all these things? Oh! I know, somewhere, somehow, someway you have been blessed, as you are a blessing to all that have ever crossed your path. As I have said many times, every minute of every day, for how many years?, I am proud for you to call me Mama. I love you. Mama

Debbiedoos said...

Gorgeous table!!

Martha said...

A very clever table! Great tablescape!

The Charm of Home said...

Really pretty! The woodland theme is perfect for this time of year. The cardinal sets the tone. So pretty.

Sarah said...

You're a success! The woodsy table along with your text is a charming valentine. Thanks for sharing.

HollyC said...

I wanted to thank everyone for your wonderfully sweet comments!! It's special to be able to meet so many gracious people "via blogger" and I'm thankful that you stopped by Beneath The Big Oak!

Holly

I'm Just a Southern Girl said...

How lovely! Love that red....

Nola said...

Very pretty without being too "frou frou"; a centerpiece even a man could love!

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Fantastic! Love your woodsy take on Valentine's! The little birdies are so cute and everything goes perfect with the poem. Great pics too!

DD

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty! I do love this and our thoughts were running sort of parallel this week. This is all quite stunning.

{oc cottage} said...

LOVE those goblets!

m ^..^

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I love this tablescape. The pine is a fresh addition. The gentle aroma would really make you think you were in the woods.