Welland Canal

Thursday, November 26, 2009

We had a great visit to the Welland Canal today!

Think Panama Canal...in Canada!

The ships come in from either direction (we were lucky enought to see two ships today..one coming, one going)and they either raise or lower the water levels to allow them to pass. It's an amazing sight to see!!



Here's a Canadian ship entering the lock (the other one we saw was Polish)

vacation 249


Closing the lock

vacation 261


After the canal is filled with water to raise the ship, it can pass through the other side.

vacation 271

I believe there's a total of 8 locks in all, to get these ships from one of the Great Lakes to another.
It was hard to get the full length of these ships in the picture, but believe me they.were.long.
Amazing!

Holly


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Educational too, Madi and Barrett learned the most exciting things, and had an adventure also.

Nonnie said...

They look like they had a ball. So happy and carefree. I love these pictures. I wish we could have gone there - maybe next time we have an adventure.