I'm Still Learning

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I love to cook. I love to try out new recipes, but I find myself clinging to the old trusty dishes that I grew up with and the recipes that my children will eat. I try not to get into a rut with my cooking, but due to the fact that I am cooking all. the. time. I feel like I'm doing the same dishes over and over. I started planning my out my menus on a weekly basis and this does help with dinner, but lunch is another story. I woke up this morning thinking about lunch. I told the children...No chicken nuggets and mac & cheese. No hot dogs and baked beans. No PB & J sandwiches and chips. Lunch is going to be different today. Which translated to ...they won't eat it;-) I made a beef , macaroni and tomatoes dish. A good ole hearty lunch that they were sure they wouldn't like, but they ate it all and got seconds! Yay!!!

I tried my had at homemade biscuits to go along with lunch. When I say tried, that's what I mean. I cannot bake a good biscuit to save my soul!! I've tried and tried. I grew up watching women make these fabulous biscuits with little to no effort on their part. My Granny and my Aunt Nell could make the biggest, best, lightest, fluffiest "cat head" biscuits that you ever sopped syrup with. I can tell you everything they did, but to do it...well, NO! So, through these years of marriage I've put my husband through several different "types" of biscuits. Drop, mayonnaise, frozen, yeast (yikes), jiffy, Bisquick...well, you get the idea. I have tried the old fashioned buttermilk biscuits, but they always turned out more like hockey pucks than soft biscuits.

Then..I found the recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits that was guaranteed to turn out great.....um, o.k.

I did everything the recipe said. I was making more of a mess than biscuits, but I persevered. I kneaded, rolled, shaped, cut and this is what I got...


Not the best looking bunch, but still not the worst...(trust me)
I put them in the oven and then I got THIS...

They were OFF THE CHAIN. I know they don't look the greatest, but they do to me!!! I think I've finally found a biscuit that I won't be ashamed of. I can say that I can make a southern style biscuit and really be able to . Now, don't get me wrong, I'd still like to be able to make a good ole "cat head", but this will do!!

Barrett ate 3 with jelly..

Holly


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those look amazing, I could almost smell em'..,