A Birthday...Al Fresco

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Yesterday was my Mom's birthday.  I invited them over for dinner to help her celebrate another wonderful year! I was extremely busy yesterday, but I still wanted to do something special for her big day. I decided to have her birthday dinner...Al Fresco.

NonnieBD1

I set up for dinner on the back porch, off of my kitchen.  I started with an empty (for the first time in years) porch and a plan.  I wanted it to be casual, but somewhat dramatic.  I covered the table with a beautiful deep green jaquard tablecloth with a paisley print. It's from the Better Homes and Garden collection at  *gasp* walmart. I fell in love with the rich color and for the price of $9.00...it was just begging me to take it home. (I bought two)

NonnieBD2
I paired up four everyday plates (jaclyn smith, kmart) and decorative pasta bowls (bealls outlet) to help create the look. Can you tell that I love a discount store?

NonnieBD3
I kept the napkins a neutral color. And because I didn't need it competing with the bowl or tablecloth I just sorta 'hid' it under the bowl.

NonnieBD4
Clear goblets and stemless wine glasses were crammed in added to finish out the table. I used plane white candles for the centerpiece. I had about twenty-five candles sitting around with Ella Fitzgerald and Dean Martin for background music.  Once it was dark it made for a very nice evening! NonnieBDCollage
I fixed up a table for the children beside ours. I kept it simple and kid friendly, but still with a little Italian charm.  I used everyday bowls for their pasta with a decorative Tuscany dessert plate underneath.  It was perfect for them. That's all they will eat anyway...pasta & dessert!
NonnieBD6


I'm joining in Susan's Tablescape Thursday. Stop by for a visit and look at all of the beautiful tablescapes!


Holly


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great,I love
Al Fresco.Anything outside,hey what was on the menu?...and Happy Birthday to Laverne!You are so blessed to have such a close relationship with your mama,hope it will always be,I know, I miss my mama something terrible!

a quiet life said...

love the window shot~

Scribbler said...

Very pretty! Hope your Mama had a good time.

Anonymous said...

Holly,thanks,yep I made the centerpiece,I know most everyone on tablescape thursday usually have fresh flowers,but,the discount flower cart at k-roger was a no show.Hope it don't look too tacky.

Carol at Serendipity said...

Very nice. The shot through the window is very good and the children's table is perfect. Hope you had a wonderful time.

Carol

Cindy said...

Your tables look lovely, casual but really nice. Good for you to make your mom's birthday special. We need to enjoy and celebrate our loved ones while we still have them.
Hugs, Cindy

A Perfect Setting said...

Love your pasta bowls! Such a great tablescape!

Marigene said...

Beautiful table, love the pasta bowls...you could use them with any number of other plates with all those bold colors.
Happy birthday to your mother!

MJ said...

Holly as you know from my blog I love everything Italian...those pasta bowls are to die for. I love them. Ive never heard of bealls...but Im up for a new pasta set because my teenager keeps breaking or chipping mine. Happy Birthday to your mom!

Thanks for visiting and the sweet comment about my little deer .lol

Debbie said...

I would say that Walmart + KMart + Alfresco = a beautiful table!!

I think tucking the napkin under the plate was a good choice for this one. You wouldn't have wanted it to compete. I probably wouldn't have thought of that!

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Hi Holly! How wonderful to dine Al Fresco. We couldn't do that all summer because it was too hot! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for commenting on my fall tablescape. I found that birdcage up in Blowing Rock and paid $14.99. They had 3 smaller sized and I wanted to buy them all!

Barbara said...

I just can't wait to eat outside again! I bet your mother had a wonderful time. Those pasta bowls are terrific.

Entertaining Women said...

This is completely charming. I love the color of the pasta bowls against the background of your wonderful new green tablecloth. The black candlesticks were a great design choice. Thank you for sharing your lovely design. Cherry Kay