I've been trying to 'spice' up my casseroles lately. I love a good casserole, but every one I make seems to turn out the same.
It's like I'm always making the same one...over and over.
Meat, cheese, sour cream..yada, yada, yada. Always. the. same.
So, I bought a 'casserole' cookbook. That's all it says on the cover...casseroles.
First up...
Easy Tex Mex Bake
I checked all the ingredients and pretty much had everything it called for.
8 ounces uncooked thin mostaccioli
(which is basically penne which I didn't have either, but hey, pasta is pasta, right?)
1 pound ground Turkey or Beef
2/3 cup medium or mild salsa
1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed and drained
(I just drained a can of corn)
1 container (16 ounces) low-fat cottage cheese
1 egg
1 Tbsp cilantro
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
(I used Mexican blend cheese)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At this point...if you like Mexican food...this is smelling wonderful!!
You should have your pasta cooked and drained and ready to layer in a 11x7 baking dish.
Start with a layer of the meat mixture then a layer of pasta.

combine cottage cheese, egg, cilantro, white pepper and cumin in bowl. Mix well.
Add the cottage cheese layer over pasta.
Add the remaining meat mixture over cottage cheese...then top with shredded cheese.
( I said all of that to say..."Layer Meat, Pasta, Cottage Cheese, Shredded Cheese")

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.

Um, Yum!
Oh, I forgot to mention that I used ziti...not the best for this recipe, but it's what I had!

I served mine with a simple green salad with a sour cream dressing.
( I knew I'd get that sour cream in there somewhere!)
The finished product was deelish and tasted totally different...

...Now, it just looks like all the other casseroles I bake!
I'm joining Miz Helen for her Full Plate Thursday!

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.

Um, Yum!
Oh, I forgot to mention that I used ziti...not the best for this recipe, but it's what I had!

I served mine with a simple green salad with a sour cream dressing.
( I knew I'd get that sour cream in there somewhere!)
The finished product was deelish and tasted totally different...

...Now, it just looks like all the other casseroles I bake!
I'm joining Miz Helen for her Full Plate Thursday!
&
Designs By Gollum for Foodie Friday





















6 comments:
Looks like a delicious casserole. I will have to try this on my family. Thanks for sharing.
Oh my goodness Holly,
Your Mexican Casserole looks wonderful, I am having a large portion on my plate here at Full Plate Thursday. Thank you so much for coming today, it is really good to see you...please come back!
This looks easy, and delicious. A nice change, with the Mexican flavors. I often have a partial jar of salsa; now I know what I might do with it!
Cass
It would not matter to me what kind you made if they all looked like this. Very yummy I am sure. Wish i just had your leftovers.
My family enjoys Mexican foods and I bet they would love this casserole. I can't wait to try this!
Now that looks like something I could get into. I, too, love casseroles. When the girls were little, though, I didn't dare call a dish a casserole. The word along meant foods mixed together and touching. You know how kids can be!
Recently I had a lot of leftover blackbean salsa that I'd made for some occasion. I browned ground turkey, added lots and lots of sauteed onions, threw that salsa in and baked it with some cheese on top. Yummy. A touch of sour cream didn't hurt it at all.
Weezer
Post a Comment