The Washstand

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My husband bought this washstand for me several years ago at an antique auction. I really liked it and at the time...had big plans for it.  Anyway, it's moved around our house from year to year, never really finding a home. It's made it's way into the master bathroom (for now) and I thought I'd share the little treasures that I'm displaying on it.
bathroom1
I change out what's on top of it...quite often and truthfully the washstand has found a new home (more on that later), but it seems to be working in here for now.

bathroom2
This little beauty is from Zsolnay Porcelain & Pottery factory in Hungary. It is a little trinket that my mother-in-law gave me for my birthday after one of her trips. I've always loved this little pill box.

bathroom3
This big boy came to us all the way from Austria. I see these things all over now, but when my husband received this from his mom, we thought it was really unique.

bathroom4
This is a little Murano glass pitcher from Venice.  We had our wedding rehearsal dinner in Venice and my MIL gave us a little memento of that evening.  She brought it back with her while we went on to our honeymoon.  I'm so glad she did! It's always been a reminder of a wonderful night in Venice.


bathroom5
I enjoy my little display stand (which was a birthday gift from MIL) of treasures in my bathroom. The great thing about it is I can just lift it and move it anywhere in the house! 

She's going to Paris in a few weeks...I may need a bigger stand!

I'm sharing this over at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday. 




Holly


6 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your washstand. I have two that I use as nightstands in our bedroom. They don't match anything else, but I love them. YOur tiered stand with all of your treasures is gorgeous. What a great reminder of some wonderful occassions. Going to Paris. How fabulous is that. I would love to. Can't wait to see your pics. Have a wonderful time. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

La said...

The pill box is so colorful and interesting. You have a wonderful mother-in-law. Does she have any brothers???? :o) La

Sandra said...

Such pretty things from far away places.I have always loved washstands and have a painted white one in my guest room...reminders of a simpler time. Thanks for stopping by my blog...come back soon.

Anonymous said...

Lovely,Holly.Me thinks,my MIL,has really always been there for me and seems like as the years fly by,I draw closer and closer....so glad to see this happening to you also,TIME IS GETTING AWAY FROM US JUST TOO FAST!.....I've turned around and looking at my life as half over,it's past time for me to realize to be truly thankful for all my blessings,these treasures,you can look on and remember such wonderful things.

Debbiedoos said...

That is one fancy shmancy washstand. I love the mural on your wall too...what a beautiful powder room.

Cindy said...

Hi Holly,
You have a gorgeous little washstand! I adore all of your little treasures on it, too.
Hugs, Cindy S